Column By: TOM WENNER / RPW – SUSQUEHANNA, PA – On Saturday, the BAPS Motor Speedway hosted the Capitol Renegade 410 Sprint Showdown and Brent Marks showed everyone the way to victory lane.
The race was part of a doubleheader featuring the 410 PA Sprint Cars racing for a hefty $5,000 purse along with the PA Spec 358-Modified racing for an increased $4,000 purse.
Mother Nature did not allow an early start to the days racing activities as rain hit the speedway well past the Noon track gate opening. After the rain stopped, All of the fans, drivers, teams, Speedway Personnel and track crew did an excellent job preparing the facility for racing action.
With temperatures in the low 40’s and a track that was well prepared the fans in attendance were treated to some outstanding racing action.
The 30-lap $5k Capitol Renegade 410 Sprint Car A Main was battle among titans. At the drop of green Brent Marks raced out to a commanding lead.
Danny Dietrich came from fourth and blast immediately into second, giving chase to Marks. “DD” was running the bottom lane while Marks was handling the high side as laps clicked off.
At lap six, both drivers were side-by-side and racing for the lead. On Lap 14, Dietrich was able to get by Marks for the lead and set the new race pace.
A caution flew on lap 18 for Brie Hershey who lost the handle on her 410 Sprint and stopped in turns 3 and 4.
Dietrich and Marks were waging a full scale war for the race lead at this time. Both were flying through lapped traffic at a rapid pace with Marks getting the top spot back.
The running order with 18 down was Marks, Dietrich, Justin Peck, Logan Schuchart, Anthony Macri, Jacob Allen, Kyle Reinhardt, Freddie Rahmer and Devon Borden.
When the green dropped for 12 to go, DD put a slider on Marks for the lead in turn 2. Marks held up, let the slider pass and motored right back by DD for the lead.
At 10-to-go, Marks had moved away from DD for the lead. Schuchart had moved into third and Rahmer hustled his #8 into fourth.
Brent Marks cruised over the final three circuits to seal the PA Northeast 410 Capitol Renegade Sprint Car Win. Dietrich was second and gave praise to Marks for his great racing. Danny mentioned post-race that he suffered cylinder failure on his #48’s Sprint Car Wing during the A-Main which affected his run for the checkered.
Schuchart completed the podium in third with a strong run. Rahmer was fourth with Justin Peck completing the top five.
410 Sprint Group Timed Practice
- Group 1 – Fast Time Dylan Norris 44 / 14.785, Followed by Justin Peck 20 / 14.816
- Group 2 – Fast Time Jacob Allen 1A / 14.677, Followed by Kyle Reinhardt 91 / 14.677
- Group 3 – Fast Time Brent Marks 19 / 14.887, Followed by Anthony Macri 39m / 15.009
- Group 4 – Fast Time Danny Dietrich 48 / 14.443, Followed by Zachary Newlin 29 / 14.773
- Overall Fast Time Award – Emory Transmission $1000 – Danny Dietrich 48 / 14.443
The fastest 410 Sprint Car lap at BAPS Motor Speedway in 2021.
410 Capitol Renegade PA Sprint Heat Race Results
10 Laps / 5 Qualify
- Heat Race #1 – Justin Peck 20, Kyle Moody 99M, Troy Wagaman 58, Dylan Norris 44, Denny Peoples 3
- Heat Race #2 – Logan Schuchart 1S, Kyle Reinhardt 91, Freddie Rahmer 8, Jacob Allen 1A, Chase Dietz 39
- Heat Race #3 – Brent Marks 19, Ryan Smith 10x, Anthony Macri 39m, Anthony Fiore 91F, Brie Hershey 97
- Heat Race #4 – Devon Borden 27, Matt Campbell 21, Tim Glatfelter 69T, Danny Dietrich 48, Zachary Newlin 29
410 Capitol Renegade PA Sprint B Main Results – Lucas Wolfe 5w, Landon Price 69P, Davie Franek 28F, Tyler Ross 5R
Capitol Renegade 410 Sprint Car A Main:
A Feature 1 (30 Laps): 1. 19-Brent Marks; 2. 48-Danny Dietrich; 3. 1S-Logan Schuchart; 4. 8-Freddie Rahmer; 5. 20-Justin Peck; 6. 39M-Anthony Macri; 7. 91-Kyle Reinhardt; 8. 1A-Jacob Allen; 9. 39-Chase Dietz; 10. 10X-Ryan Smith; 11. 21-Matt Campbell; 12. 27-Devon Borden; 13. 5R-Tyler Ross; 14. 58-Troy Wagaman Jr; 15. 44-Dylan Norris; 16. 99M-Kyle Moody; 17. 69T-Tim Glatfelter; 18. 5W-Lucas Wolfe; 19. 91F-Anthony Fiore; 20. 29-Zachary Newlin; 21. 3-Denny Peebles; 22. 28F-Davie Franek; 23. 69P-Landon Price; 24. (DNF) 97-Brie Hershey