Story By: ANDREW REIGEL / FONDA SPEEDWAY – FONDA, NY – 2023 will mark the fifth season for BD Motorsports Media LLC at Fonda Speedway. The historic ‘Track of Champions’ celebrates its 72nd year of weekly action in ’23 along the Mohawk River.
The 2023 ‘Track of Champions’ schedule features 21 events with the featured weekly divisions including the Amsterdam Truck Center Modifieds, Swagger Factory Apparel Crate 602 Sportsman, Below Zero Ice Cream Pro Stocks, Montgomery County Office of the Aging Limited Sportsman and Fonda Fair Four Cylinders.
There are numerous must-see events:
- The ‘Jack Johnson Memorial Montgomery County Open’ for the Modifieds opens the season on Saturday, April 22 with a $12,000 payday on the line in honor of legendary racer Jack Johnson
- A pair of visits from the Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Sunoco: $10,000-to-win, $500-to-start ‘Firecracker 50’ Sunday, July 2 & the ‘Fonda 200’ Thursday-Saturday Sept. 14-16, paying $53,000 to win and $1,000 to start
- The Tezos All-Star Circuit of Champions 410 Sprint Cars return for the first time in over ten years on Saturday, May 20 chasing a $10,000 top prize
- The ‘Dave Lape Memorial Night’ will kick off the Thunder on The Thruway six-race mini-series on Saturday, May 27.
- The Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprints (ESS) 360 Sprint Cars will visit the ‘Track of Champions’ on two occasions (May 6 & Aug. 5)
Other events to highlight:
The ‘Thunder on the Thruway’ six-race mini-series between Fonda Speedway and neighboring Utica-Rome Speedway in Vernon, N.Y., returns in the ’23 season for the Modifieds, Crate 602 Sportsman and Pro Stocks. The three Fonda ‘Thunder on the Thruway’ events take place on May 27, July 1, and July 15.
Fonda welcomes three different groups of Sprint Cars (ESS, CRSA and All Stars) to the Montgomery County oval on six occasions in the ’23 season: May 6 (ESS), May 20 (All Stars), June 3 (CRSA), July 29 (CRSA), Aug. 5 (ESS) and Sept. 15 (CRSA).
A “fan favorite” returns to the half-mile as the Modifieds take part in twin 20-lap events on June 17.
Speaking of fans, “Dollar Night” with $1 grandstand admission is scheduled for May 13 and Fan Appreciation Night featuring $5 grandstand admission is set for June 24.
The annual ‘Bill Ag’ Modified Elimination event is set for July 8.
The Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modified Series makes five visits to Fonda in ‘23: April 29, May 27, June 10, July 1 and Aug. 12.
Benjamin Moore Paints Championship Night is set for Saturday, Aug. 12, before teams gear up for the most lucrative event of them all: Fonda 200 weekend Sept. 14-16.
An Open Practice session will precede the racing season on Saturday, April 15, allowing competitors a chance to shake off the cobwebs for the 2023 campaign.
Weekly grandstand admission is $13 (Adults), $11 for Seniors (ages 65-plus) and Kids 11 and under are admitted FREE. There are increases for special events.
Pit admission is $35 (Members) and $40 (Non-Members). Kids (ages 6-12) pay $10 and Children five and under pay $2. Increases for special events are noted on the schedule.