Story By: BRETT DEYO / SHORT TRACK SUPER SERIES – VERNON, NY – Massive payout. Top drivers. New York State’s premier dirt-track surface.
This Sunday (Sept. 3), the Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Sunoco takes over Utica-Rome Speedway for the New Yorker 50 presented by Moteloc LLC, Scenic View Campground and Picture Perfect Pools & Spas.
A total purse structure of more than $54,000 awaits STSS Modified competitors in Round No. 9 of the River Valley Builders North Region and the second Ollie’s Elite Series event of the 2023 season.
The 50-lap winner takes home $12,000, with $2,000 for 10th-place and $1,000 to take the green flag.
Utica-Rome’s talented field of 3 Bastards Brewing Modifieds including Matt Sheppard of Savannah, N.Y., Billy Decker of Sidney, N.Y., Alex Yankowski of Covington Township, Pa., Andy Bachetti of Sheffield, Mass., Bobby Hackel of East Greenbush, N.Y., Alex Payne of Canandaigua, N.Y., Pat Ward of Genoa, N.Y., Alan Johnson of Middlesex, N.Y., Michael Trautschold of Roscoe, N.Y., Willy Decker of Vernon, N.Y., Justin Wright of York, N.Y., JaMike Sowle of Fultonville, N.Y., Addison Bowman of Mexico, N.Y., and more.
A stellar lineup of invaders is expected to take on the Route 5 facility:
· ‘Lightning’ Larry Wight of Phoenix, N.Y.
· HBR teammates Jimmy Phelps of Baldwinsville, N.Y., and Max McLaughlin of Mooresville, N.C.
· Hall of Fame inductee Tim Fuller of Edwards, N.Y.
· Erick Rudolph of Ransomville, N.Y.
· Mat Williamson of Saint Catherines, Ont., in the Behrent’s Performance Warehouse No. 3
· Recent All Star Circuit of Champions 410 Sprint Car winner Danny Varin of Fonda, N.Y., in the BDR Speed No. 16S
· PA-NJ-DE star Danny Bouc of Pipersville, Pa.
· Danny Johnson of Rochester, N.Y., in the Tim Gibson-owned No. 27J
· Recently crowned Thunder Mountain Speedway (Center Lisle, N.Y.) Modified champion Darren Smith of Binghamton, N.Y.
· Michael Maresca of Potsdam, N.Y.
· Dillon Steuer of Bohemia, N.Y.
· Mike Mahaney of King Ferry, N.Y., on a recent hot streak
· The Quebec-based team of Francois and Steve Bernier
· Southern Tier veteran J.R. Hurlburt of Otego, N.Y.
Points toward both the River Valley Builders North Region and Ollie’s Elite Series will be awarded at the conclusion of the 50-lap main event.
Joining the STSS Modifieds on the Labor Day Weekend card are the Next Generation GraphiX Pro Stocks ($1,000 to win, American Racer or Hoosier tires), Fastline Performance Limited Sportsman ($500 to win, American Racer or Hoosier tires), Senior Services Inc. Allstar Slingshots and Junior Slingshots.
Gates open at 4 p.m., with hot laps at 6 p.m. and racing at 7 p.m.
Grandstand admission is $30 (Adults), $28 Seniors (ages 65 and up) and Kids 11 and under are FREE.
Pit admission is $50 (Non-Members), $45 (NASCAR or Utica-Rome Members), $10 Kids (ages 6-12) and $2 Children (ages 5 and under).